The most asked question in the world of school philanthropy is ‘Why do we have an annual fund? Where is my money going?’
The Annual Fund supports the school’s operating budget with annual, unrestricted gifts that help fund our programs, students, and teachers. Some examples of the essentials provided by the Annual Fund are:
- Faculty Support
- Faculty Professional Development
- Performing Arts (sets, costumes, royalties)
- Facilities Upgrades (Café Portico, M.S. Outdoor Play Space)
- Classroom Budgets
- Financial Aid
- Athletics (gym and practice space)
- Technology Upgrades
- Campus Maintenance
The Annual Fund provides 7% of Tandem Friends School's operating budget.
Why Give? Doesn’t Tuition Cover Everything?
Because we are a not-for-profit school, tuition and fees only cover 80% of the school's operating budget. The remaining 20% is funded by gifts to the Annual Fund, Fundraising events, and endowment investment income. In the 2011-12 Operating Budget the "gap" between collected tuition revenue and expenses stands at approximately $3500 per student.
Participation Completes the Annual Fund
Parental participation is particularly important to the ongoing success of our fund-raising efforts.Often, when the school seeks sponsorship, matching gifts, and grants from corporations and foundations, they often review our participation percentages, which helps them choose the level at which they will support Tandem Friends. In essence, participation gifts help secure additional and major gifts for Tandem Friends. The goal for 2011-12 is 25% participation from alumni and 100% participation from parents, faculty and Board of Trustees. Regardless of the size of the gift, we need EVERYONE to join in.
Make Your Annual Fund Gift as Soon as Possible
For the 2011-12 school year, Tandem Friends School is counting on an Annual Fund income of
$250,000 in unrestricted donations. An Annual Fund Leadership committee composed of parents, trustees, alumni, faculty, and staff is helping us pursue this goal. Your Annual Fund materials arrived by mail the first week of October. You may return your gift by mail or you may give on-line at any time.
If you feel you can make only one gift to Tandem Friends School this year, please make it to the
Annual Fund. You can make an online gift by clicking on the online Giving button or by calling the development office at 434-296-1303 ext. 304.
All gifts are 100 percent tax deductible!
Please consider making your gift to Tandem today. It will make a difference for your child and for our entire community!
If we reach our goal early, we will have a more productive year by enriching budgets, saving the school time and money in subsequent mailings and reminders and using resources to pursue larger outside monies through grants and larger donor prospects.
Please consider giving to TFS early this year. It will make a difference for your child and for our